April 12, 2018
Quarterly Newsletter – April 2018
Spring is here, and that means warm weather is on the horizon. It’s an excellent time to inspect your WhisperKOOL cooling unit for damage or wear and have it repaired by a licensed HVAC technician if need be. Please see the information below (taken from our fourth-quarter 2017 newsletter) for more information on inspecting and performing routine cleaning and maintenance on your WhisperKOOL cooling unit.
Helpful Hints: Airflow
Airflow is of the utmost importance! The following hints will help ensure peak performance and longevity of your cooling unit:
- Our self-contained units are designed to be mounted through the wall with a recommended clearance of 3-5 feet around the system (to avoid air recirculation).
- Do not install the system in a cubby or corner or inside a wall cavity or cabinetry. This can cause an obstruction of airflow.
- Grilles should NEVER be placed over a self-contained cooling unit.
- Ducted systems should have soft sweeps and minimal bends. Ducts should be installed so that the supply and return air takes the shortest route possible to and from the cellar.
- Ductwork should be properly insulated to prevent heat transfer. Condensing units should have 3-5 feet of unobstructed clearance in every direction (to avoid air recirculation).
- Outdoor units should be placed in an area of mild to moderate temperatures. Watch a YouTube video about the WhisperKOOL SC Series by clicking here.
- The evaporator and condenser coils for all through-the-wall systems must be cleaned quarterly. To clean the coils, simply vacuum the front and rear grilles or coils as shown above.
- Through-the-wall Extreme units have washable filters covering the coils behind the grille areas. These filters must be cleaned quarterly.
- All ducted units come with paper air filters which must be replaced quarterly. To order filters, call the WhisperKOOL customer service department at 1-800-343-9463.
Our 24-volt thermostat conversion option is now available on all Ceiling Mount, Quantum, and larger Platinum Split systems. The 24V option modifies typical WhisperKOOL unit controls. The standard keypad and bottle probe are removed and replaced with 24V wiring which may then be tied into a home thermostat of your choosing.
Note: The 24V option must be requested at the time of sale. It is not an aftermarket upgrade and cannot be added to an existing unit.
(24V thermostat not provided by WhisperKool*)